Drug Addiction In College Campuses
College life to some is often associated with parties where binge drinking and abuse of recreational and prescription drugs are common.
Among the total drug abusers throughout the country students in college hold the premier position and are one of the largest groups.
These college students are the population ages 18-24 who were exposed to greater chances of addiction.
It is common for many students to come across problems of natural social anxiety when they begin life in college. The temptation to consume alcohol is strong primarily because students overwhelmingly believe that alcohol makes it easier for them to socialise. Binge drinking is not something that every student starts doing as soon as he enters college, but drinking on a regular basis pushes many students onto the path of addiction.
There is also a very small chance for the people that are not in these institutions to use drugs as compared to those studying there.
Why College Students Turn To Drug Use
There are many reasons that cause people to start using these drugs such as
- Different people have different ways of coping and amidst the daily grind of college life and perhaps their part-time job and relationships make them think they need it.
- Assignment Burdens
- Wanting to succeed always makes the students study harder and they can use some stimulants in a bid to enhance their concentration.
- These prescription medications are usually obtained without a legitimate prescription in most cases.
- Urge To Experiment
- It is a common habit among college students to explore the new aspects of life both in personal and professional realms.
- The self-exploration can lead into drug experimentation, and this is a matter which is well-documented.
- Influence From Others
- Many pupils will be lured to experiment drugs because they live in an environment where peers are constantly trying recreational and boasting drugs.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 772 3971
Diet Pills And Eating Disorders At College
College students are exposed to higher vulnerability to develop eating disorders.
National Institute of Mental Health pegged that 1 in 4 college students suffers eating disorders. Over the last two decades men and women who are affected by an eating disorder has shown a tremendous growth, and this number is alarmingly constantly on the rise. In an effort to loose some pounds, they resort to the use of weight loss pills. Death and other health complications can occur because of this. Find out more about eating disorders and diet pill abuse on college campuses.
Popular Drugs Among College Students
College students are known to use almost every kind of drug.
With that said, certain drugs are most commonly abused in college campuses. Below are few of them on college campuses
- The consumption of alcohol is perhaps one of the most common substance-related problems on college campuses because a vast majority choose alcohol.
- It is also tricky to tell if a student is addicted to liquor or not because it is something that is used in many social events.
- Many students, especially those who are stressed out about finishing study assignments on time, reach out for stimulants such as Adderall, which are also known as "study drugs".
- Pot is now being used most by many students because many states have started legalizing it.
- The use of Marijuana has outpaced that of alcohol on many campuses.
- Ecstasy also known as molly or MDMA, is making its comeback since it was first introduced in the early 90's.
- Students in their 20s tend to overuse the "party drug" as their generation is in the target age range for the most common abusers of this substance.
- One of the most common party drugs is MDMA.
Alcohol And The Impact On College Students
By far, alcohol is in the position of being the most popular and dangerous drug on college campuses. Drinking alcohol is extremely common in campus, as it is a part of every house party, student parties, and celebrations.
Most college pupils end up assuming more booze that non college students because its abuse during college is common and often excused.
Four out of five college students consume alcohol during their time in college.
A research performed by the National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism has shown that about half of pupils have drank heavily. Excessive consumption of alcohol is not just a major health concern within the long-term, but it can also cause immediate tragedies such as assault, injury, arrest and even fatalities. The students in higher institutions are always educated about the dangers of alcohol.
Fraternity And Sorority Drug And Alcohol Abuse
There are many different fraternities in colleges, each of which encourages its members to have friendly relations with other members and to seek excellence in academia and other spheres, but Greek system, with all its good points, has more cases of alcohol and drug abuse than others.
Adderall is one of the drugs that the students in these systems take more.
Seek Assistance For Your Drug Or Alcohol Addiction
Help is closer than you think in case you are unable to come out of your drinking problem, drug abuse, or eating disorder. We have healthcare experts and counsellors who can take care of your needs in dealing with this predicament. Regain control of your life by contacting us on 0800 772 3971 about your substance abuse.