What Am I Allowed To Bring To Rehab
Rehab treatment centres permit certain things and prohibit certain items; you should know the policy of your rehab treatment facility beforehand.
Some items are prohibited in the rehab centres. A recommended packing list is provided by most centres, which also provide you with a list of items that are prohibited.
You will be admitted to the clinic as you get to the rehab where the entrance process will start. The staff will carefully check your belonging to ensure you are not carrying any banned substance or item with you. While other centres provide you with the checklist of what you can bring.
Only the things that you really require are allowed in the centres. However, each rehab has its own conditions on what they allow and what is not allowed.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 772 3971
How To Get The Packing Information
If you are not sure about bringing an item or have any questions about what you should be packing you should be having a look on the website of the rehab for a "what to bring" page. Alternatively, you can also look for the frequently asked questions [FAQs] section if the page mentioned above does not exist. The patients are also given hard copies with all the items listed. Alternatively, you can get in touch directly with the rehab administrators. They will be able to provide you all the answers to any questions you may have about what you can bring. This will also be an opportune moment for you to inquire about anything that you were not sure with.
Recommended Items List For Rehabilitation
It is a given that rules vary from one centre to another, others are still while others are a bit lenient.
Below are some items that are most recommended
- Details of people who form your support group (family and close friends, doctors, 12-step sponsors, and others).
- Person ornaments that are used by the person.
- Except for the above you are advised to leave all valuables at home.
- An alarm clock.
- Some centres are known to supply these items, and therefore, it would be better to verify this particular item before venturing out into the market to purchase them.
- Existing prescription medication should have complete and accurate labels and original container.
- If you are taking a liquid drug, the bottle must be sealed.
- You are also allowed to carry a list of all your medications along with the dosages required.
- Ensure you are some cash with you in small denominations.
- Your payment card in the form of debit/debit card or your check book.
- Bring along your insurance card as well as documents needed for personal identity verification.
- Call cards may be required in cases where long distance calls are accessible only through it.
- Your diary.
- Stamps and envelopes if you need to mail post.
- Photographs of friends or loved ones you hold dear.
- Books and magazines will probably be given by your clinic.
- Most of the items that are allowed should play some part in the recovery process.
- Tip It is better if you bring paperbacks than hardcovers because they are lighter.
What Clothing You Can Carry
Be conscious of any limitations on the dress code while packing because most clinics have one. In case where you are not sure, consider to bring articles that you can use in layering in case of cold weather.
This however does not mean that you should carry your whole closet.
Laundry spaces are accessible in a facility so you can plan your clothes packing based on that amenity. Bring everyday clothes that require no special washing process.
You should bring weather-appropriate clothes for at least 7 days.
- Shoes Regular everyday shoes, sports shoes, and shower shoes.
- Shirts You need to make sure you bring the shirts that are allowed in that facility, tank tops need to be accompanied by cardigans.
- Pants Comfortable pants fit for any occasion
- Shorts They have to be long enough to comply with the clinic's dress code.
- One or two smart dresses for special occasions.
- Bathing suit One is more than enough.
- A jacket.
- Bath robe.
- A belt.
- A hat Some centres do not allow wearing hats inside the premises.
Hygiene And Beauty Products That Are Acceptable
A number of centres require alcohol-free toiletries and personal products. However, these requirements varies from one centre to another. No aerosols are allowed.
Personal hygiene and beauty products that last for a month have to be carried along and they are
- Body sprays
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Hair wash and care products
- Hair gels
- Feminine wash or hygiene products
- Shaving cream
Items Not To Take To Rehab
Certain items are not allowed inside the premises of rehab centres. These items don't guarantee the proper surroundings for your retrieval and aren't safe Most of the following item are not allowed in many rehabs
- Liquor and any form of drug
- Narcotics and prohibited prescriptions
- Sharp tools
- Materials with sexual content
- Food items
- Personal hygiene and beauty products that have alcohol (mouthwash, colognes, etc.)
- E cigarettes
- OTC medicines that are not allowed and have been opened before
- Nail products
- Computer games
- Sporting equipment
- Revealing attire (tank tops, sleeveless shirts, midriff bearing tops, etc.)
- Cleaning supplies [bleach, ammonia, etc.]
- Electrical devices (televisions, gaming consoles, etc.)
- Games and playing cards
- Clothes with crude statements or photos of drug, violence, or alcohol on them
While you might not expect certain things to be banned, like electronic products and sport equipment, but many centres do not allow them. However, the items are prohibited with the intention to help you to avoid distractions and to provide you an opportunity to remain focused on your recovery. During certain times, the centres itself will make the arrangements necessary to make items like these available to you.
You will also find that food from outside and drinks are banned because the centres maintain a moderate sugar and caffeine environment. You will get 3 main meals, along with snacks and beverages. Inform your clinic before admission if you have special needs.
Items Which Some Facilities Allow And Some Do Not
Each rehab has its own rules which may be different to that of another rehab. A lot of things are off limits in nearly all centres, but these items might be allowed in some
- Cell Phone and Laptop
- However, the access of these items will be regulated as per the policy of your centre.
- Don't leave your charger behind.
- Some centres consider your personal smoking liberty hence they allow you to bring your cigarettes.
- Although you have this privilege, you are limited to a number of specified quantities allowed.
- Vitamins and OTC Medications
- All the medicine should either be prescribed or new.
- It must be unopened and sealed.
- MP3 Player or CD Player
- You might be permitted to bring along entertainment devices that can work without speakers and internet.
- Shutterbugs can rest assured that some centres will allow cameras that are not Internet capable.
- Disposable or Electric Shavers or Razors
- Razors are considered as dangerous and some centres are known to prohibit them completely.
- Most of the times, throwaway razors are permitted.
- Nail Clippers
- It depends with the requirement in the facility.
- Personalizing Your Room To Make It Feel Homey
- Many centres allow patients to bring their own mattresses and pillows and other stuff to give their room a more homely appearance.
- Just double check with your rehab centre if these are indeed allowed before stuffing them into your luggage.
What Will Happen To A Contraband That I Brought With Me
It is possible that by mistake you pack something that is not allowed, but you should not worry in case this happens. The personnel will just endorse it to your accompanying friend or loved one. Someone you trust can also come to pick them up from the facility. You may also choose to pick the after the session ends.
This is mainly in instances where the close relatives are far and cannot come immediately. Make sure you review the regulations of your centre by calling them. In case you pack something, which is prohibited by mistake you will want to ensure that those items will be returned during some stage. They can either send them back to your place or keep them safe till the end of the recovery process.
Preparing Your Stuff For Rehab If you have all the information from the rehab, this process becomes less hectic. Ask for a checklist whenever available so you can use as a guide. As a generally suggested idea, pack and travel light and keep it to bare essentials.
Act Now For Help
A number of treatment centres will allow you to bring certain things, which can make your life comfortable during the treatment. Our treatment specialists can provide you the assistance needed to find a centre best suited to your requirements.
Contact your clinic by giving us a phone call now on 0800 772 3971.